Friday 20 January 2017

I'm in my mid twenties and don't know what to do with my life.





Remember when we were young and full of ambition, hope and passion for the future? When I was younger I wanted the world. I wanted a great career, I wanted a nice car and a big house with a jacuzzi. An amazing married life, complete with a dalmatian puppy. That was it. I felt deep down that achieving those things would make me happy.
Fast - forward to my mid twenties and I'm now asking myself "What happened to those goals?"
Did I give up on them or did I change my mind? What happened to all of the ambition I had and why didn't I pursue things further? Am I a failure for not sticking at it or focusing on other things in life? Is there something wrong with me??

Right now, in this current moment, I'm uncertain on what I actually want to do with my life. I feel like this is common for a lot of millennials. A lot of my peers are getting mortgages, having babies or have just landed that promotion of their dreams. I've spent Months of feeling down about not achieving certain milestones in which society has drilled into us that we need to achieve by a certain age and time frame. I've felt crap about myself and have spent so much time worrying and stressing and comparing myself to other people, that I haven't even thought about if I actually want any of these things. I'm quite happy living with my family. I'm not even sure if having children is something I even want in my future at all.

What I have only just come to realize, is that it doesn't matter if you achieve these 'milestones' that the world would like us to, in the order it would like. In fact, it doesn't really matter if you don't achieve any of these milestones at all. As cliche as it may sound; as long as you are living your life the way YOU want to, and doing things that make YOU happy, there really is no need to get caught up in comparing yourself to others. There really is no time limit - you are never too old to start learning something new. To try something different. To do things that you want to do, and when you want to do them. Life is short, and I'm going to try my best to live the rest of mine happy, whether that means that I never have a six figure salary and 2.4 children - I'm trying to be happy, and live. I'm not trying to convince the world I have a perfect life.


No comments:

Post a Comment